ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have an UTI for two months?

Question

Why do I have an UTI for two months?

Two months ago i had sex with my boyfriend My Period came late last month. My Pee has a bad Smells at Least 3-5 Times Every Week I Would Pee with A Bad Scent But My Pee Was Not Hurting At All Somedays it would Hurt To pee

Answer

You have malodorous urine associated with some dysuria (pain with urination). It is possible that you have an infection. You should make an appointment with your primary care doctor to have your symptoms evaluated more thoroughly. The most common causes are urinary tract infections (UTI) or sexually transmitted diseases (STD). Women are more prone to UTI's because their urethra is short. This allows bacteria to enter the urinary tract more easily. UTI's can occur anywhere in the urinary tract from the opening of the urethra to the kidneys. It is associated with increased urinary frequency and dysuria. Sexual intercourse could also increase the risk of UTI's since the penis can rub against the urethra and introduce bacteria. Some women urinate after sexual intercourse to flush any bacteria that could be introduced to the urethra. Another possibly to explain your symptoms is a STD since you are sexually active. People experience STD's in a spectrum. Some people do not have any symptoms and some people do. You have dysuria which is a common symptom of an STD. Please make an appointment with your primary care doctor to have your symptoms evaluated more thoroughly. Your doctor should also analyze your urine for infections. If you have fevers, nausea, vomiting, and flank pain, you should go to your emergency room.