How long does it take skin to heal?

About 4-5weeks ago I smashed my legs on some sharp piece of wood. The cuts have healed but going over the skin when putting on bodylotion after a shower for example still hurts. How long does it take for the skin to proper heal please?
Thank you for your question. I recommend that you speak with your doctor, but generally speaking the normal healing process is a matter of days for most people depending on the depth of the wound, the health of the person, and several other factors. For simple very superficial wounds, the skin is able to regenerate in a healthy person very quickly because the immature cells below the scratch mature quickly to fill the void of the cells scraped off. In deeper cuts, the cells have to grow in from the sides and takes several days as collagen grows into the wound and then other cells come over the top of this scaffolding. Regardless, things like smoking, diabetes, poor nutrition, poor blood flow, and many other factors can delay this process. Also, the bacterial burden at the site of the wound can cause a wound to heal more slowly, which is why washing with warm soapy water is so important in most instances. If the skin has healed well but it is just pain that you are describing, there are other possible explanations. If nerve endings were injured, these take much longer to heal normally. Also, things left in the wound can cause pain. Please speak with your doctor about your question.