ZocdocAnswersCould I have chlamydia?

Question

Could I have chlamydia?

I just found out that my partner has chlamydia. We have protected sex; however, there have been times where he has rubbed the tip of his penis where my buttocks is. Without a condom Like in the crack. How high is the chance that I would get chlamydia from that?

Answer

I would definitely recommend that you talk with your primary care doctor about this issue. Chlamydia is a very common sexually transmitted infection that is transmitted primarily by genital contact. Although definitely using barrier protection, such as a condom, is the best way to protect yourself from getting the infection, there is a small chance that you could have picked up the infection during the times when you didn't use a condom, even though it sounds like you haven't had intercourse without a condom. Again, I would definitely recommend that you talk with your primary care doctor about this issue as soon as possible. Most of the time, your doctor will want to test you for a chlamydia infection, which can be done with a simple laboratory test that can be run either on a urine specimen or on a vaginal swab specimen. If this test is positive, then you will need to be treated with antibiotics to clear the infection. It is also important to refrain completely from sexual intercourse or any genital to genital touching without a condom until the results of this test are back and both you and your partner have completed the treatment course with antibiotics for the infection. Call and make an appointment with your doctor as soon as you can.