Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I have pain in my right side above belly button and into back. What could it be?"

ZocdocAnswersI have pain in my right side above belly button and into back. What could it be?


Hi there, I have pain in my right side above belly button and into back. I've had my appendix out last week but still have pain. I have also had ct scan, ultrasound, pelvic ultrasound and colonoscopy, as well as being tested or coeliac I have also had blood tests, stool sample and urine sample, all coming in clear. I really don't know what it could be anymore. I have had the pain for two months and lost weight. I was nauseous and couldn't eat with no energy for the first three weeks, but I've got my appetite back now. But still nauseous every few days. Pain seems to worse when I walk around or go out. Best in bed. Please help


I am sorry to hear about your symptoms, and it sounds like they are having a significant impact on your life. In order to provide an accurate diagnosis and treatment options, a doctor would need to review your entire medical history and perform a thorough physical exam. The doctor would also need to be able to review the full details of your prior testing. only after collecting this information will it be possible to make a recommendation. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with a gastroenterologist to discuss these symptoms. It is important to know whether this pain existed prior to your appendectomy or if your appendix was removed as a result of the pain. Appendicitis is unlikely as you no longer have an appendix. You can certainly have irritation of nerves following the surgery that could be causing pain. Abnormalities of the blood vessels feeding your intestines can cause pain, and this is often associated with eating. Pancreatitis, or inflammation of the pancreas, can lead to abdominal pain that radiates to the back. Atypical abdominal pain can occasionally be due to coronary artery disease. Finally, you could be suffering from functional abdominal pain. I encourage you to discuss these possibilities with a gastroenterologist.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.