ZocdocAnswersI had 2 periods in one month. What is wrong with me?

Question

I had 2 periods in one month. What is wrong with me?

My period came on september 14th ended september 20th. Came on again september 29th and is still on today october 10th. I skipped my period in august abnd had a normal one in july. I have a 4 year old daughter and my husband and i have been trying for another child, just seems like it wont happen. Whats going on!?!

Answer

Irregular menstrual periods are a common and often frustrating symptom that many women experience. In order to review your particular case fully, and to have specific questions answered, I recommend making an appointment to meet with a gynecologist to review your particular menstrual pattern and how it may affect your pregnancy. Having said that, irregular periods are usually no cause for concern, although I know that is easier said than done. Especially when trying to conceive, when fertilization of the egg may take place but implantation does not, your menstrual period may change from month to month. Although not having regular periods makes it difficult to time sexual intercourse in order to maximize your chances of becoming pregnant (specifically during ovulation), it also does not preclude you from becoming pregnant. Timing of ovulation is variable, and often difficult to predict, although there are devices that measure body temperature and other parameters that can help predict when you are most fertile. The main points you should remember are that this is not dangerous to your health, and this will not on its own prevent you from becoming pregnant. In general, it is best to try to conceive for one year before becoming concerned about your fertility. If you are not able to become pregnant within that time frame, I would suggest speaking with your gynecologist or with a reproductive endocrinologist and infertility specialist. Again, it may be beneficial for you to schedule an appointment to see your gynecologist sooner than that, so that he or she can fully address your concerns.