Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Is it normal for a 71 year old woman to have (vaginal bleeding) after having surgery?"

ZocdocAnswersIs it normal for a 71 year old woman to have (vaginal bleeding) after having surgery?


Surgery was to reverse a colostomy.


You had a procedure to reverse a colostomy. When you are in surgery, I don't believe that the surgeon would be anywhere near the vagina. While you are in surgery, the surgical team may have placed a foley, which is a tube that goes into the bladder. If it was traumatic, it could cause some bleeding that can be confused with vaginal bleeding. The other causes of vaginal bleeding could also be related to surgery but I cannot be entirely sure since I was not present. You should make an appointment with an OB/GYN doctor to have your vaginal bleeding addressed. If it is heavy bleeding, you should go to your local emergency room. At your doctor's visit, they could perform a pelvic exam and look a the lining of the tissue to rule out any signs of trauma or cancer. They could could take a sample of the tissue to send for further testing. They could also take a urine sample to rule out any infectious cause. Depending on the results, they may perform other tests such as imaging tests to ensure that there is no damage to the kidneys, bladder, or internal organs. If you have any signs of pain, fever, lightheadedness, shortness of breath, or chest pain, please go to your local emergency room.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.