ZocdocAnswersOn an MRI of my brain it revealed "small prominent right basal ganglis perivascular space". What does it mean?

Question

On an MRI of my brain it revealed "small prominent right basal ganglis perivascular space". What does it mean?

Clinically, I have been unable to maintain balance, walk without falling. I cannot stand with my eyes shut. I cannot walk one foot in front of the other without holding on. I cannot lift my foot up with my eyes open without falling. I am only 34 years old and have always been a klutz but lately it has definitely been progressing.

Answer

If you are concerned about neurological symptoms, then I recommend that you see a neurologist, primary care doctor, or other healthcare professional in order to receive a formal evaluation. The symptoms that you mention can have a multitude of causes, and therefore specific testing including history, physical exam and imaging (as you have received) are often critical to establishing a diagnosis. Regarding the MRI finding, this is a normal finding. Perivascular spaces are interstitial fluid filled spaces that line perforating vessels of the basal ganglia. They are located in the pial layer of the brain. They are typically less than 5 millimeters in size, and are increasingly visualized on MRI with better technology and imaging resolution. Perivascular spaces of frequently seen in the lower half of the basal ganglia. The basal ganglia is the portion of the brain the is important for regular the initiation and cessation of movement. Diseases of this region of the brain lead to abnormal movement disorders, such as Huntington's disease, which is a fatal genetic condition passed on in a autosomal dominant fashion. However, perivascular spaces are normal and should not be of concern unless otherwise specified. I recommend that you see your doctor, who can go over the exact imaging findings in detail in order to address your concerns.