ZocdocAnswersI woke up with fever and neaseua looked at my legs the had red angry places which were hot to the touch. How can I treat it?

Question

I woke up with fever and neaseua looked at my legs the had red angry places which were hot to the touch. How can I treat it?

I woke up with fever and neaseua looked at my legs the had red angry places which were hot to the touch. Went to the dr he said could be cellulitis and gave me bacterium. Next day it was spreading so I went back. Some places had whelps so he said could be allergic reaction and gave me steroid shot. But said continue antibiotic just in case. 3 rd day looked better not hot less red but still swelling he said he didn't know and sent me to dermatologist who also didn't know but said I could go back to walking for exercise. I got home today and walked a mile. Then my legs turned back red hot angry and is spreading more. What should I do?

Answer

It is important to see your primary care doctor or local urgent care center if your symptoms persist or are worsening, or if you are continuing to have fever. Several conditions can cause redness and swelling of the legs. As your doctor mentioned, cellulitis, a superficial infection of the soft tissue, can cause fever, redness of the skin, and tenderness. This can also cause swelling. Cellulitis can be caused by bacteria that live on the skin, and that can enter through superficial wounds on the feet or legs. People with diabetes are at higher risk for cellulitis. It is still possible that your symptoms are caused by cellulitis, that may require stronger antibiotics. At times, treatment includes intravenous antibiotics. It is important to be evaluated for this reason. An allergic reaction is also possible, if your symptoms included pink 'hives', raised lesions that come and go, and each lesion lasting less than 24 hours. This can be associated with itching. Allergies can be triggered by a number of foods, materials, or medications. Allergies are not typically associated with fever; however, there are more severe forms of allergic reactions which can be associated with fever. If you feel the redness is associated only with exercise, it is possible that there is contact dermatitis from socks or elastic along the area. Other rashes are possible, for example eczema or psoriasis. It is important to be evaluated in person, by a primary care doctor or allergist. If the redness continues to spread, or if you have fevers, you should be seen in urgent care or in the Emergency Department.