Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Why does the right side of my face twitch and my right eyelid sag when intoxicated?"

ZocdocAnswersWhy does the right side of my face twitch and my right eyelid sag when intoxicated?


If I have more than two drinks, my right eyelid will sag very low and the right side of my face will droop and twitch a little. I am wondering what might cause this and could it be a sign of an underlying problem? I have no clue what it could be attributed to as it never used to do that before a few months ago. Back in May I did have a car accident at highway speed when I hydroplaned and hit the guardrail. I wasn't injured miraculously as I could see, but I was quite traumatized and it was hard to form sentences for a few days. A friend of mine said maybe I have lyme disease? I am not sure where to start figuring this out. Thankyou, Amanda


That is an excellent question and one that is best answered by your primary care doctor or another doctor specializing in neurological dysfunction such as a neurologist. Based upon your story, it is possible that you sustained some trauma to your brain during the accident that you have overcome (this is especially concerning with the fact that you were not able to make sentences for a few days - as this is usually attributed to the left side of the brain) which is now unmasked when you drink alcohol. This also seems somewhat likely since the part of the brain that controls the right side of your face is very close to the area of the brain that makes speech in most people and so these two things together may point towards some injury to that area of your brain. A neurologist would be able to evaluate you based upon your history and physical examination and may want to perform further testing on you such as an MRI or CT scan. Based upon your story, this is a more likely cause than lyme disease, but of course, it is advisable that you are evaluated by a doctor to decide what the cause is and what can be done to treat this.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.