ZocdocAnswersIs my MRI normal?

Question

Is my MRI normal?

L2-L3: No disc herniation. Mild facet arthropathy. L3-L4: No disc herniation. Minimally progressed moderate facet arthropathy with ligamentum flavum hypertrophy but no central canal stenosis or nerve root impingement. No foraminal stenosis.L4-L5: Minimally progressed disc space narrowing, no significant disc herniation, stable moderate facet arthropathy but no central canal stenosis or intrathecal nerve root impingement. Mild left neuroforaminal stenosis but no exiting nerve root impingement. No listhesis.L5-S1: Bilateral iliolumbar ligaments are visualized. L5-S1disc space is designated on axial T2, series 5 image 31. Not significant change, mild advanced disc space narrowing particularly in the right half of the disc space with grade 2 Modic endplate changes. No significant change in moderate right paracentral disc protrusion impinging on the intrathecal right S1 nerve root and causing mild central canal stenosis. No exiting nerve root impingement.

Answer

Thank you for this interesting question. In order to comment on your MRI results, they must be placed in a clinical context. A doctor would need to know the full details of your medical history and also perform a physical exam. Additionally, the doctor would need to be able to view the study itself rather than simply relying on the report. Without more information, it will not be possible to provide an accurate diagnosis. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon specializing in spine surgery to discuss these results. Facet arthropathy refers to increased bone growth in some of the joints of the spine. This is typically related to arthritis over time. Depending on the degree of bone growth, this can impinge on the spinal cord or nerves exiting the spinal cord, which can cause neurologic symptoms. This study also examines the discs, which are pieces of cartilage that help cushion the components of the spine and allow for spinal flexion. In the lower part of the spine, or sacral spine, there is an area where a bulging disc seems to compress one of the nerve roots, although the read indicates this is unchanged from a prior study. It is imperative for you to see a spine surgeon to discuss this further.