Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I am having shortness of breath/confusion. What is wrong with me?"

ZocdocAnswersI am having shortness of breath/confusion. What is wrong with me?


Ive been feeling bad here are my symtoms. -Extreme of shortness ofbreath/tight chest/ -lightheaded/confused -weightloss/7lbs one week -slght nausea -dizzy -slight headache -pain on right side Shortness of breath an weightloss and dizzieness are my main symtoms Medical history Appendicitus at age 15 Im now 21 (male) my right lung collapsed and had a chest tube put in. That side is the side that aches when symtoms come on. What could be wrong with me? This is causing my mental health to go downhill too.Ive been to the e.r to only have chest xrays and they said nothing.Havent really had blood test.What could be going on??


There is a lot going on here, and the symptoms do sound fairly severe and persistent. Therefore, I think you need a repeat evaluation, which could be by your primary care doctor if you can be seen urgently or a repeat trip to the emergency room. The history of a collapsed right lung is concerning to me. In the absence of additional information to explain why you had a collapse lung (such as a traumatic accident), it makes me think of something called spontaneous pneumothorax, where the surface of the lung bursts allowing air to escape and compress the lung. If this was the prior cause of your collapsed lung, then you are at risk of this happening again as well, and this should be ruled out. There are other causes of chest pain and shortness of breath as well, which could include asthma, a heart attack or problem with the heart rhythm (this would be unlikely in the absence of a history in someone your age), or a blood clot in the lungs, among numerous others as well. I think getting in touch with your doctor and explaining to them that the symptoms are persistent and quite severe is the best first step.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.