ZocdocAnswersWhat constitutes as the first day of my period?

Question

What constitutes as the first day of my period?

I am starting a clomid cycle and I need to know what constitutes as my first day of my period

Answer

In general, the first day of your period is the first day that you notice bleeding. The reason that this day is used as opposed to other days, is that the beginning of a menstrual cycle is usually more abrupt than the end. The end can usually tail off with a few days of very light bleeding and it can be difficult to determine when it has actually ended. The first day is usually easier to determine and therefore is used as a marker of when the cycle starts. I encourage you to discuss these types of questions further with your OB/GYN. Thus, when your doctor discusses our treatment or something that is supposed to happen "on day blank" this is the day of your cycle represented by the number of days since the start of your last period. When dealing with issues of infertility and the need to know exactly where you are in your cycle, it is a good idea to start keeping a calendar so that you know about when you're about to start your next period. For all of these issues, I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN or fertility specialist, whoever you happen to be seen for these issues. The two of you can discuss what is needed to determine where you should start the Clomid.