ZocdocAnswersIs my knee injury serious?-

Question

Is my knee injury serious?-

I jumped off my aunts garage roof. Went to the hospital and i wad told a legiment injury. Did what my instructions said and had it rechecked several times after. Im in a straight leg brace or i have to use a cane

Answer

This question is somewhat difficult to answer since the knee contains multiple ligaments. Further, the degree of injury is also important and I would recommend that you follow up with an orthopaedic surgeon. As a point of explanation, a ligament is made of collagen and is defined as a structure that connects from bone to bone to stabilize the two connected bones. As a generalization, the knee has several primary stabilizing ligaments: anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), posterior cruciate ligament (PCL), medial collateral ligament (MCL), lateral collateral ligament (LCL), quadriceps tendon and patellar tendon. Generally speaking, a complete tear of any ligament in the knee usually needs to to be repaired surgically because of its inability to heal on its own and its stabilizing function. On the other hand, a sprain of these ligaments (that is, a stretching or partial tearing but not complete tearing) can usually be treated with rest, ice, and progressive therapy. Due to the stabilizing nature of ligaments, a complete tear of a ligament feels unstable, and can make the knee feel like "giving out". Again, I would recommend that you follow up with an orthopaedic surgeon to further evaluate your injury. While a torn knee ligament does not always have to be treated with surgery, instability of the knee can allow more degrees of motion in the knee that can cause injury to the knee cartilage, and hence accelerate arthritis and the pain that is associated with it.