Why does my knee hurt and how can I fix it?

Hi! My knees have been hurting lately-- not when walking or bending normally (ok it hurts a little if i bend it normally, but not as bad), but if I try to sit cross-legged (what we used to call "indian-style" in school) or do that common stretch where you bend your knee at that same angle and put your ankle over the opposite leg, it aches. It never used to hurt to do this, and it's pretty painful-- I want to fix it! Any ideas? (If this has any bearing on it, I recently stopped running while my strained achilles tendons heal. So basically, my body is a mess!) I am 23 and female. Thanks for any help!
I am sorry to hear about your symptoms, and I can certainly understand why they are distressing, especially at your age. It is not possible to accurately determine the cause of your symptoms without further reviewing your medical history and performing a detailed physical exam. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. After an in-depth review, the surgeon can make recommendations on potential causes and treatment options as well as make recommendations regarding whether you need additional imaging studies to investigate your symptoms. The knee is a complex joint, and there are many potential causes for your pain. One is a general overuse injury from running. It is also possible you altered your stride due to your Achilles injury, which may have led to increased strain on your knees. It is possible that you have developed iliotibial band syndrome or patellofemoral knee syndrome, both of which can cause knee pain. It is also possible you have developed bursitis, or inflammation of the knee joint sacs that help cushion the knee. You may have damaged one of the ligaments that help stabilize the knee, such as the ACL or MCL. Additionally, you may have suffered a tear of the meniscus, or disc of cartilage that helps cushion the joint. I encourage you to discuss these possibilities with an orthopedic surgeon.

Other Orthopedic Surgeons