ZocdocAnswersI have a burning sensation in my tongue for a week, what could be wrong with me?

Question

I have a burning sensation in my tongue for a week, what could be wrong with me?

Actually I used to have red ring like patches in the middle of my tongue which would subside after eating bland food for a few days n b complex tablets . but now I m having red streaks n continuous burning sensation which irritates a lot . Please help . I don't have any acidity problem these days.

Answer

Thank you for this question. While there are many different possibilities, it is apparent that you will need to speak with your doctor more about this question. Geographic tongue is one of the common diagnoses that can have some changes in the coloring and patterns of the tongue. There can also be some fissures in the tongue that some people can have. Burning tongue is also unfortunately somewhat common, and can be more difficult to treat for some. Making sure that your vitamin levels are appropriate can be helpful for some people, and also it is important to make sure that you do not have something more that is causing these symptoms. For example, many infections of the tongue and mouth can cause some local burning that can be exacerbated by spicy foods. Also, there are some types of tumors that can also have these symptoms, and so it is important to discuss these questions and symptoms with your doctor. An otolaryngologist-head and neck surgeon (AKA ENT AKA ear nose and throat surgeon) may be able to effectively help you with this problem as they see this sort of problem on a regular basis. Please speak with your doctor.