ZocdocAnswerswhy does my right arm fall asleep ?

Question

why does my right arm fall asleep ?

my right arm falls asleep every night no matter what position im in. the pain in the inner side of my elbow wakes me up and it takes my arm forever to feel normal. It only makes the right side of my hand numb, my thumb and pointer finger are barely affected by feelling

Answer

Sorry to hear about your problem and I recommend that you speak with your doctor. In general, when a persons arm falls asleep it has something to do with the blood supply or the lack thereof. The pins and needles that often come are the body's way of alerting us to move and do something different so that the cells in that body part get the blood supply that they need. Alternatively, the nerves in a specific body part can be affected by positioning as well, and can simulate that sort of problem. While it is hard to say if your position truly is part of the problem (since you are asleep), it most often plays a role unless you have another medical condition that we don't know about. Speaking with your doctor will help to pinpoint what else could be causing these symptoms, and may also be able to give you the information that you need to keep this from happening in the future. Please speak with your doctor.