ZocdocAnswersI have been waking up with blood all over my tongue and on my pillow. What could it be?

Question

I have been waking up with blood all over my tongue and on my pillow. What could it be?

I wake up sometime with brown blood all over my tongue. Some on my pillow. And some on my hand. What could it be.

Answer

You woke up with brown blood on your tongue, pillow, and hand. The blood could be from your mouth, your lungs, or your gastrointestinal tract. During your sleep, you may have scratched or bit your lips or tongue. It is hard to determine exactly where the blood is coming from since I do not know your medical history and I cannot perform a physical exam on you. That is why it is important that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor as soon as possible to get it checked out. The concerning things to rule out are bleeding from the lungs or gastrointestinal tract. Blood from the lungs could be from an infection such as tuberculosis. Tuberculosis is contagious and can be transferred from person to person through the air. People suffering from tuberculosis have symptoms of coughing up blood. People at risk are people who travel to outside countries or working with recent immigrants. Other conditions to rule out is malignancy. In the gastrointestinal tract, people can suffer from ulcers from the stomach up to the esophagus. When the ulcers are deep enough, it can erode into blood vessels. Blood irritates the stomach and it can lead to vomiting of blood. You should make an appointment with a primary care doctor to get checked out as soon as possible. If you have sudden episodes of large volumes of blood from anywhere, you should go to your local emergency room.