ZocdocAnswersIf 40mg of IR adderall is taken at 12pm is it safe to take a pre workout supplement at around 6pm?

Question

If 40mg of IR adderall is taken at 12pm is it safe to take a pre workout supplement at around 6pm?

need to know

Answer

In general, I recommend you discuss the mixing of prescribed medications and workout supplements with your physician. It is impossible to know what may be dangerous without knowing the full details of your medical history. Adderall is a stimulant that contains amphetamine and dextroamphetamine. Prescription adderall is often used to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder as well as narcolepsy. It is also used as a drug of abuse. From your question, I cannot determine the specific indication for which you are taking adderall. Such drugs can increase your risk of cardiac abnormalities, such as arrhythmias, which is why you should consult your physician. There are numerous pre-workout supplements on the market. These supplements are not tightly regulated by the FDA and can even contain known toxins. Some have been removed from the market due to liver toxicity or sudden death. Without knowing the specific contents or your pre-workout supplement, I cannot specifically say whether it is safe. Many of these supplements contains caffeine or other stimulants designed to increase your heart rate in preparation for exercise. By combining this with another stimulant such as adderall, it is possible you can increase your risk of arrhythmia. I encourage you to discuss this further with your primary care physician to determine if it is safe within the context of your overall medical history.