ZocdocAnswersMy son is having pains in his abdomen area. What should I do?

Question

My son is having pains in his abdomen area. What should I do?

He's been having pain for two nights straight. By daytime he was feeling fine. But now he just feels terrible. Please answer the question as soon as you can.

Answer

Thank you very much for your question. I suggest that you make an appointment with your son's primary care doctor. Depending on the age of your son, abdominal pain can have many different causes. His own medical and surgical history, family history, and environmental risk factors can also play a role in helping to determine what may be causing his pain. If he is experiencing right lower abdominal pain, he may have appendicitis, inflammation of the appendix. If he is having right upper quadrant pain, he may be experiencing cholecystitis, inflammation of the gallbladder. If your son is an adult and he has left lower abdominal pain, he may be experiencing diverticulitis, inflammation of outpouchings of his colon. If he has a family history of inflammatory bowel disease (such as Crohn's disease or Ulcerative colitis), he may be experiencing onset of a similar condition. He could also have something as simple as a viral gastroenteritis. Other potential diagnoses include an ulcer of his stomach or small bowel or potentially a tumor. It is not possible to receive a diagnosis without being evaluated by a physician or other qualified health professional. Again, I suggest that you make an appointment with your son's primary care doctor for further evaluation to receive a diagnosis and potential management strategies.