ZocdocAnswersWhat could cause enlarged fatty liver?

Question

What could cause enlarged fatty liver?

all blood tests are normal.Had normal ultrasound a year ago.Not obese,sugars are perfect and never been a drinker

Answer

I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with a gastroenterologist. There are a number of things that can cause a fatty liver. The most obvious causes are being overweight. if you are not overweight and you are able to maintain a health body weight going forward, this will help out any fatty deposition you have in your liver. Another cause is metabolic syndrome which is a combination of abnormalities that often come together. They include insulin resistance (pre-diabetes), high blood pressure, and issues with cholesterol. In any event, exercise can be a very helpful remedy for this syndrome and the fatty liver. Another cause is excessive alcohol use which has not been an issue for you. Finally, there are certain medications that can cause or at the very least accelerate fatty deposition in the liver. I should mention here that if you had normal liver function tests and a normal ultrasound, then you probably do not have a problem with a fatty liver. However, if you have had a recent test that shows this, then I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with a gastroenterologist. He or she can review your imaging and blood work to see if you have issues with a fatty liver. If you do, then you can get recommendations for diet and exercise that might help the situation.