ZocdocAnswersCan Major Depressive disorder be A cause of my my lack of Emotion?

Question

Can Major Depressive disorder be A cause of my my lack of Emotion?

It's been a Few months Since I've been diagnosed with this mental illness. I am of young age not necisarrily an adult yet. Most days I find it very hard to understand peoples emotions or React the same way to traumatic events. If someone dies and i hear about it i feel nothing. If some miracle happens, i feel nothing. My previous counselors mistreated me and i've finally gotten around to getting a new one. I've heard of this illness making people upset and cry allot but I usually Don't really feel anything to call a "mood" But sometimes i do Cry for no reasons and I can't stop until hours later.

Answer

Generally speaking, yes it could. I am so glad to hear that you are working with a health care professional, and hope that you are able to make some progress in your overall well being. Mental illness is something that does not get the respect that it deserves for interfering with the health and quality of life of those whom it affects. Recognizing that you need help is one of the most important things that you can do to make sure that you begin to improve. Depression can present in many different ways. There are some common findings that most people will have, however, and you seem to be describing at least a couple of these. As with most mental illness, a list of certain symptoms is required before a formal diagnosis can be made. In general, a depressed mood, sleep disturbances, anhedonia (or not finding pleasure in things that used to please you), appetite disturbances, impairment in performing normal activities are just a few of the things that can be common to those who have depression. If you are thinking of hurting yourself or others, please speak with a healthcare professional immediately. Again, please discuss your symptoms with your doctor.