ZocdocAnswersAfter 10 minutes walking my left leg hurts to the point that I have to stop walking. What could be wrong with me and how can I treat it?

Question

After 10 minutes walking my left leg hurts to the point that I have to stop walking. What could be wrong with me and how can I treat it?

My Dr said it's neuropathy but meds are not working. The pain is getting worst instead of better. This has been going on about 8 months now

Answer

Thank you for your interesting question. In order to provide an accurate diagnosis and treatment options, I would need mroe information. I would need to review your entire medical history and also perform a thorough physical exam. In addition, I would need to review any prior testing you have had performed. Only after collecting this information will it be possible to provide recommendations. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with a primary care doctor to discuss these concerns. Your leg pain has many potential causes, and I would need more details about your symptoms to help narrow the list of possibilities. It is possible you have osteoarthritis of the hip, knee, or foot that is causing the pain. Neuropathy, or disease of the nerves, can certainly cause pain, although it is more common to see this in both extremities rather than exclusively in one. Neuropathy often responds to medications like gabapentin and pregabalin, and you may require escalation of the dose before determining that the medication is not working for you. Peripheral vascular disease can also cause exertional leg pain. This occurs due to cholesterol build-up within the arteries of the legs. Depending on the severity, you may require medications, stenting, or even surgery. Again, I encourage you to discuss these concerns with a primary care doctor.