Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Possible strain or torn muscle in left shoulder, how can I treat it?"

ZocdocAnswersPossible strain or torn muscle in left shoulder, how can I treat it?


I was doing a 4 man push up drill where 4 people put their feet on each others backs and we all do a push up but on the second one when I extended my arm all the way I felt a pop in my left shoulder and now if I do a push up the muscle behind my arm has a very sharp pain and twitches at the same time and I can't move my arm very fast because it hurts when I do that, but I can move my arm all the way around with no problem what do you think I might have done"


It sounds like you had some strain on your shoulder when you were performing your exercises. Based on your description, it doesn't sound like you have a dislocated shoulder, but it is important to speak with an orthopedic physician who can evaluate you. If you had a dislocated shoulder, your shoulder would appear asymmetric from your other shoulder. It could also appear swollen. Your range of motion would also be limited. A more likely cause of your symptoms is a rotator cuff injury. There are structures that support the shoulder such as ligaments and tendons. Rotator cuff injuries can present with sharp shoulder pains with movement. Your range of motion should still be intact. You should make an appointment with an orthopedic physician who can examine your shoulder to determine the etiology of your symptoms. They would perform certain maneuvers that can locate a specific structure in your shoulder. They may also order imaging to help assess your shoulder such as an x-ray or a MRI. If it is a rotator cuff injury, they can off you surgery or they can approach it more conservatively with physical therapy. In the meantime, if you have a lot of pain, you can try some over the counter pain medication to alleviate some of the pain you are experiencing.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.