ZocdocAnswersI detected a lump on my breast and now I also have pain in my shoulder. What could it be?

Question

I detected a lump on my breast and now I also have pain in my shoulder. What could it be?

And breast should I go back to dr

Answer

I am sorry you are experiencing these symptoms. For any woman with a breast lump, it is critical that you consult either your primary care physician or your gynecologist. Breast lumps often appear during the menstrual cycle, and this often more noticeable for young women with denser breast tissue. However, it is impossible to rule out a breast tumor without a thorough history and physical exam. Depending on the results of this, you may need to undergo a mammogram, breast ultrasound, or breast MRI. If these results raise concern for a tumor, you may need to undergo a fine needle aspiration of the mass or a biopsy. It is important for you to know that I am simply presenting the full range of options, and I encourage you to discuss these possibilities with your doctor. Shoulder pain is an uncommon associated symptom in someone with a breast lump. It is conceivable it could be caused by an enlarged lymph node if this were indeed due to a breast tumor. However, it is also possible it is caused by an injury to either a rotator cuff muscle, shoulder tendon, or the cartilage lining of the shoulder. It is impossible to determine this without a full, in-person evaluation. Due to the concern for a potentially serious condition in your case, I strongly urge you to see your physician as soon as possible.