ZocdocAnswersMy blood pressure yesterday was 82/46 and I fainted. What does all of this fainting and dizzy things mean?

Question

My blood pressure yesterday was 82/46 and I fainted. What does all of this fainting and dizzy things mean?

My blood pressure yesterday was 82/46 and I fainted. My stomach felt like I want to throw up and the lower left part of my head was really dizzy all day long. I have been on this dizzy thing for 3 weeks or more but I never fainted. it was just yesterday that I fainted. P.S: I usually have a blood pressure 82/110. What does all of this fainting and dizzy things mean?

Answer

Loss of consciousness in the setting of persistent low blood pressure is a very concerning event and one for which you should certainly seek out the advice of your primary care physician. Low blood pressure means that a person has less efficient perfusion of blood to the brain, and in this setting a person experiences lightheadedness and, at times, loss of consciousness. If this is the case, it is very important to figure out why the blood pressure has dropped to a point low enough to have such consequences. Sometimes, it is as simple as starting a new medication that has side effects of lower blood pressure. Some classic medications associated with this side effect are diuretics, medications used to combat high blood pressure, and medications used for an enlarged prostate. Another cause of low blood pressure is volume depletion (ie, dehydration) which could be caused by malnutrition or not drinking enough fluids. Abnormal rhythms and structural diseases of the heart (such as tight/leaky valves) can also cause less efficient pumping of blood and consequently lower one's blood pressure. Sometimes these problems are only diagnosed after patients present with fainting episodes. Another consideration would be inadequate production of steroid hormones by the body in such conditions as adrenal insufficiency. Whatever the underlying cause may be, it is extremely important to figure out the diagnosis and initiate a treatment plan with your primary care physician.