ZocdocAnswers I've noticed that, for some time now, the opening and about a few mm inside my vaginal canal is white. What could this be?

Question

I've noticed that, for some time now, the opening and about a few mm inside my vaginal canal is white. What could this be?

Im 28 years old, and I've noticed that, for some time now, the opening and about a few mm inside my vaginal canal is white. My discharge has changed, becoming slightly thicker, and white in appearance. From what I can tell, the white color is not due to a collection of discharge; it's still white when I get out of the shower after cleaning with water, and when I wipe down below, there is no real color change. I've gone to my OB-Gyn for this a few times, and she never finds any yeast, BV, STDs or other abnormalities. Always a clean bill of health. But I do have concerns. Sex is embarrassing since the discharge is always thick, occasionally clotted and creamy white. I'm not currently sexually active, and have not been so for almost 2 years. What could this be?

Answer

If you are concerned about abnormal discharge from your vagina, I recommend seeing a healthcare professional such as an ob/gyn or primary care doctor for further testing and evaluation. Abnormal, thick discharge from the vagina can multiple causes, some benign and others more serious. In a subset of patients, changes in vaginal discharge may happen with normal aging and is benign. Generally, as women age, they develop more dryness and decreased mucus secretions. Similarly, their secretions may also become more thick. However, there are also other explanations including bacterial vaginosis and sexually transmitted diseases. Formal pelvic examination by a healthcare professional to assess for abnormal lesions of the cervix and vaginal cavity is important to rule out abnormal growths and infections. Bacterial vaginosis, yeast and sexually transmitted diseases can all be assessed with a saw and gram stain/culture at your healthcare provider. Finally, skin changes can occur in the vaginal area such as thinning and friability that may be associated with a whitish appearance. However, these changes are typically associated with older age and can be evaluated on pelvic examination. Changes in diet, weight and exercise can also appear to effect the quality of discharge from the vagina.