ZocdocAnswersIf the female is infected with ureaplasma, and the male does oral sex to her (who is not infected), but they always have protected sex, is there a chance that he might get infected too?

Question

If the female is infected with ureaplasma, and the male does oral sex to her (who is not infected), but they always have protected sex, is there a chance that he might get infected too?

If the female is infected with ureaplasma, and the male does oral sex to her (who is not infected), but they always have protected sex, is there a chance that he might get infected too? Also note that the female who is infected, never did oral sex to the male.

Answer

I recommend that you be seen by your primary care doctor for an examination. Ureaplasma is a bacterial organism which commonly colonizes the human body, especially the genital and urinary tracts. There have been many studies published about this organism. Some of these studies suggest that the organism can cause significant infections, whereas others suggest that this is not the case. Although there is no clear consensus on this issue, I think a good middle of the road position would be that most of the time Ureaplasma is just a bystander and not a serious problem but that, occasionally, it can cause infections. That being said, it is hard to say whether there is anything to worry about in your particular case. Ureaplasma can often be picked up on vaginal culture, for example, which I suspect is what happened in your case for the female partner. However, this doesn't mean the female is infected; she might just be colonized, unless there are symptoms like pain with urination or discharge. Ureaplasma can colonize many parts of the body in addition to the genital tract, including the mouth and respiratory system. So I think there is a theoretical chance of it being transmitted by oral sex although, again, that might not result in any symptoms. Again, I suggest being seen by your primary care doctor for an examination, especially if you do have symptoms.