Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Is it possible to treat squint without surgery?"

ZocdocAnswersIs it possible to treat squint without surgery?


Dear Doctor, I've squint eyes that causes great disturbance in my life.Its a childhood problem. My parents consulted some capable doctors when I was a little child. They assured my parents that my eyes were good. According to them my nose's skin was a bit loose that gave feel of squint eyes. They said that it would be fine gradually as I would grow up. Now I am 23+ but still my eyes "occasionally" go outwards (only one eye at a time). I used spectacles for far sight (minus 1 for both eyes). I consulted a local ophthalmologist, last month, who has 10+ years of experience in squint surgery. She suggested me to have a squint surgery. But the problem is that neither I'm willing to go for this option nor my parents are willing to allow me to go for that in any case. As per doctor, surgery is the only treatment of this problem. Please tell me if it can be better without surgery.


Thank you for your question. I may be wrong, but I believe your question is regarding a condition of the eyes known as strabismus, or lazy eye, whereby the eyes are not properly lined up. The primary concern with fixing strabismus as a child is to prevent a condition called amblyopia, when one eye cannot see as well as the other. This is because the brain gets confused when it receives different images from each eye and therefore "shuts off" information from on eye. Over time, that eye weakens and has problems with vision. It sounds like, as a child, you were told by physicians that you had pseudostrabismus. This is when children appear to have lazy eye because they have a wide nasal bridge or large epicanthal folds (the tissue of the upper eyelid which covers the inner corner of the eye). However, these children in fact have normal alignment of their eyes. If this is the case and you are not experiencing any visual problems at this age, cosmetic surgery is a viable option for improving the appearance of pseudostrabismus. However, it is important for you to confirm with your ophthalmologist whether you have pseudostrabismus vs. true strabismus. If you in fact have strabismus, there may be options such as Botox injections which could be used to weaken affected eye muscles and improve eye alignment without the need for surgery. Again, please speak with your ophthalmologist for further guidance.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.