Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I have a burning in my tongue and in my genital area, what could it be?"

ZocdocAnswersI have a burning in my tongue and in my genital area, what could it be?


I am 31 years old. Female, 5'4 and 145 pounds. I smoke and drink often. A month ago I had protected sex with a new partner who has had several other partners before me. 2 weeks later I gave him unprotected oral sex. Immediately after I developed a burning sensation in my mouth and on my tongue. Then I felt the same burning feeling travel throughout my whole body and rest in the tongue and genital area. My tongue now has what my dr calls "swollen papllae" and even prescribed thrush medication. But I completed the treatment and there has been no relief. The burning in my genital area includes the whole "boxer short" region, including under my buttox and behind my thighs. It has continued since onset. Sometimes worse than others. When I do feel it, (usually a few hours a day) the burning is severe and I have to move my clothes away from the area. There is redness, but no bumps, sores, anything like that. I have an appt with my gyn on wed. But I am losing sleep over this whole thing.


Thank you for your question, and I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. There are obviously a number of different possible explanations that you are having, but it is somewhat difficult to think of one particular reason or explanation that would exactly describe the migrating symptoms that you have mentioned. Sexually transmitted infections are obviously a risk among those who have unprotected sex, and there are a number of these that are quite common. Depending on the number of partners that you have had in the past, it could be more or less likely that you have obtained some of the more common sexually transmitted viruses that are quite widespread. Your OB is a good place to start, as he or she will be able to do both an examination as well as some testing if they feel that it is appropriate. There are things other than infections that could be causing these symptoms as well, and your doctor will be able to discuss some of these with you. It could also be that some of the symptoms that you are experiencing are in part due to your experience with the person and the event. Please speak with your doctor more about this question.

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.