Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"It is really painful when I have sex, what is wrong with me?"

ZocdocAnswersIt is really painful when I have sex, what is wrong with me?


I am a 27 year old female and I got married last month.I have problem with my relationship. Since my marriage I feel pain during the intercourse and it did not bleed in my first time though it suppose to be in women's first time.further,my husbands penis cannot be be enter fully in my virginal just goes half and he says it is so hard to pull further and when he pushes I feel really pain.please help and give me an advice.Thank you.


Unfortunately, painful intercourse is a common problem for women and I recommend discussing your concern with your doctor. The medical term for this is 'dyspareunia', and can be caused by many different things. Pain during entry into the vagina (as compared to deep pain) can by caused by insufficient lubrication, inflammation or infection of the skin around the vagina, or by a condition called vaginismus. Vaginismus refers to involuntary muscle spasms that make it hard for the male partner to fully enter the female and can cause pain and discomfort in the female. Painful intercourse can also arise from diseases of the uterus and pelvis such as ovarian cysts, endometriosis, fibroids, hemorrhoids and even irritable bowel syndrome. Tied up in all of this are emotional factors such as fear, stress and anxiety, all of which can contribute to your inability to enjoy sexual intercourse. It does sound like you may have a component of vaginismus, which is typically treated with relaxation exercises and vaginal dilators. I know this can be difficult to talk about, but I would strongly recommend you go see your doctor and discuss your concerns. Since you are sexually active you should also start having regular pelvic exams and pap smears; your doctor can do an exam and get a better sense if there are any other conditions that might be contributing to your discomfort and how best to go forward.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.