ZocdocAnswersCan I ask my doctor to do an ultrasound only to see if I am pregnant?

Question

Can I ask my doctor to do an ultrasound only to see if I am pregnant?

because with me it never shows up on the urine test or blood test

Answer

That is an excellent question and one that is best answered by your primary care doctor or OB/GYN who can examine you, obtain a complete history including what the issues were with regards to the urine test and blood test in the past, and decide what is the best test to evaluate whether you are pregnant or not. It is not clear from the history you have provided what the issue is with regards to your history of urine and blood tests but it is very unlikely that they never show up on these tests as they test for normal circulating chemicals that are secreted when a baby is conceived and so they should show up with every normal birth. It could be that you are asking whether they don't show up very early and that is something that may be possible and it is best to discuss the normal times that they show up for blood, urine, and ultrasound in your specific case and decide what is the best test of choice. In general, blood and urine are very good studies and only if your doctor has a reason to get the ultrasound done first would these other studies not be performed, but talk to your doctor to decide what is the best course of action.