ZocdocAnswersWhy have I been feeling nauseous?

Question

Why have I been feeling nauseous?

Last night I woke up feeling like I was going to vomit. Then if I do go to the bathroom I still feel nausous but I haven't vomit, but I can feel it coming up. What is going on with my body?

Answer

Nausea is a very common symptom that can be caused by many different conditions. Since nausea can be a sign of other conditions and is a symptom that can be quite distressing, I suggest you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. In fact, there are too many conditions that can cause nausea to list here. I would say that probably the most common of these conditions is a viral infection of the G.I. tract known as viral gastroenteritis. This is a type of infection that can cause nausea, vomiting, and often diarrhea. People that wake up in the middle the night with nausea often also complained of heartburn. Acid reflux can cause nausea is worsened when you are lying flat allowing acid to move from the stomach of into the esophagus. Young women sometimes developed nausea early in pregnancy. We call this morning sickness. Again, I suggest you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. The two of you can discuss your symptoms in more detail. After this discussion into physical exam the doctor is likely to smoke with a list of possibilities that could be causing your symptoms. In addition, you can get a prescription for medication to help her nausea if it is only the symptom that is the problem. If it is a viral infection, it will pass soon.