ZocdocAnswersWhy do I want to sleep all the time?

Question

Why do I want to sleep all the time?

I can sleep for up to 15 hrs, and I wake up and all I want is for the day to go by fast so I can go home and sleep. It doesnt matter how much sleep I had the night before, I'm always sleepy, and I dont feel like doing nothing, and I used to be a really hyper person, but somehow now I have to push myself to do what I have to do. My aunt says that it may be anemia, but I know I'm ok because I just donated some blood and everything was fine. To have a normal day I need energy drinks, but I try to avoid them all the time because I know how bad those are for my health. So I dont know what to do! Help!!

Answer

That is an excellent question and one that is best answered by your primary care doctor or another medical are professional. There are several possibilities for why you are so sleepy and it is only your primary care doctor, after obtaining a medical history and physical examination, who will be able to tell what is the underlying cause. For one thing, it is advisable that you stop taking the energy drinks since they can disrupt your sleep wake patterns and ruin your sleep which would make you tired during other parts of the day. It could also be that you have some depression as this can be caused by lack of interest in things that once interested you, and feelings of excessive tiredness or inability to sleep. Another potential reason is that you are not sleeping well due to obstructive sleep apnea as this is definitely one possibility for why people become very tired throughout the day which is outside of what is within the normal range. Your doctor may also suggest a sleep study if they cannot find another cause for your sleep issues and this may elucidate the underlying cause for why you are having these symptoms.