ZocdocAnswerswhy does it burn when I urinate?

Question

why does it burn when I urinate?

I am a 53 yr old woman and I have been itching in my vaginal and anus area and now it hurts and burns when I urinate.

Answer

This is a good question. It is very important that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor or ob/gyn as soon as possible to have a full history and physical. Depending on what your doctor discovers during your visit he or she will likely order a urine test and vaginal cultures. Your symptoms could be suggestive of a yeast infection. This is usually characterized by itching, a white cottage-cheese like discharge, and irritation of the genital area which can cause burning on urination. It is also possible that you had an allergic reaction to a new soap or pair of underwear. A urinary tract infection causes burning during urination but is not usually associated with itching. If you are sexually active you should also be tested for sexually transmitted diseases, or STDs, as these can have differing presentations. Again, it is very important that you make an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible to get a correct diagnosis and appropriate treatment. In the meantime, try not to scratch the area as this can lead to infection. Also soaking in the tub can sometimes help with the irritation and be sure to drink plenty of fluids.