ZocdocAnswersThe past two nights I have been woken up with sharp pains under my right breast. What could be causing this?

Question

The past two nights I have been woken up with sharp pains under my right breast. What could be causing this?

the past two nights i have been woken up around 3 a.m. with sharp pains under my right breast its very painful and has lasted for 2 hours or so then goes away and i only feel it when i go to sleep at night. what could be causing this.

Answer

Thanks for your question. There are a few possible explanations for what could be causing chest pain, at least sharp chest pain that wakes you in the middle of the night, so it is important that you speak with your doctor. Let's start with a few of the more concerning options. First, chest pain of any sort is always at least concerning for the thought of a heart attack. Most of the time, people don't describe this as a sharp pain, and so that may or may not be the most likely explanation for what you are describing. In general, however, a heart attack should be at least considered whenever anyone says that they are having chest pain. Next, costochondritis can cause sharp pains in the rib cage. This is the term that is used to describe inflammation of the joints of the ribs. Like most bones, the ribs articulate with the spine and the sternum through joints that can become inflamed and cause pain with movement. It may or may not be normal for this pain to be waking you up in the middle of the night, however. Another thing that might wake you up in the middle of the night is reflux. Please speak with your doctor about this question.