ZocdocAnswersDoes my son need to eat only gluten free or is just no wheat and spelt okay?

Question

Does my son need to eat only gluten free or is just no wheat and spelt okay?

MY SON IS 7 & JUST CONFIRMED ALLERGIC TO WHEAT GLIADIN, WHEAT GLUTIN, SPELT & WHOLE WHEAT. HE IS NOT ALLERGIC TO OATS, BARLEY & RYE. DOES HE NEED TO AVOID ALL GLUTEN, WHEAT & SPELT OR JUST WHEAT & SPELT? ONLY THE ONES SPECIFICALLY PARTAINING TO WHEAT WAS AN ALLERGY, NO REACTION TO ANY OTHERS. HE WAS IN THE MODERATE RANGE. WHOLE WHEAT WAS THE HIGHEST.

Answer

Sorry to hear about your problems and concerns. Allergies will be different for each person, and so it is important to speak with your allergist about your questions. Moderate allergies suggest that there may be some overlap, but the specific testing that was completed by your allergist would be much more valuable than any generic information that I would be able to provide. He or she will be able to make specific recommendations about what to avoid, and may even have handouts specific to the findings that your son has demonstrated on his testing. Please speak with your allergist about this question and get the answers that you need to keep your son healthy and well.