Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"My 12 year old son is so thin, how can I help him gain weigh?"

ZocdocAnswersMy 12 year old son is so thin, how can I help him gain weigh?


Could it be a medical problem, if so what could it be. Please help me


That is an excellent question, and because of his age, and the fact that you are concerned for his weight, it is important that he be evaluated by his pediatrician as this may be a normal finding or it may mean he has something more concerning underlying his decreased weight which may be more serious and may require treatment. Your son's pediatrician will likely look back at your child's growth curve to make sure that he has maintained a similar weight since earlier in life. If that is the case, then this is likely normal and nothing to worry about. On the other hand, if your child has had a significant loss of weight over a shorter period of time, which can be seen by a dropping off of on his weight curve, then this is more concerning and further workup is necessary. Part of the workup may be blood work to make sure that he does not have any diseases that may make him lose weight or not be able to maintain a healthy weight, and psychological testing to make sure that your child does not have any body weight issues that might be causing him to not eat or eat less than what he should be doing.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.