Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Why is my ear infection not responding to treatment?"

ZocdocAnswersWhy is my ear infection not responding to treatment?


I've had a severe middle ear infection for 4 days now. Two days ago I went to the doctor and was prescribed Augmentin and ear drops to ease pain. The infection has continued to progress and has even begun in my other ear. It is swollen completely shut, I can't hear anything out of that ear. The area around my ear is also very swollen and painful. The only over the counter pain medication that will slightly help is Advil that contains 20mg Pseudophedrine. I've tried other Aspirin and Ibuprofen, but it doesn't seem to help in the least. I've also tried Clarinex-D because it has a high dosage of Pseudophedrine, but that didn't help much either. What should I take to ease the pain? And why is the infection progressing and not healing?


So sorry to hear about this problem. It sounds like you may need more help, and speaking with your doctor is a good place to start. He or she may recommend referral to an ear nose and throat surgeon (AKA ENT AKA otolaryngology-head and neck surgeon) who would be able to help you best potentially. In many cases, he or she would be able to examine your ear and determine what the cause of your problem could be. Middle ear infections can have different causes, but some of them go beyond the routine bacterial infections. Alternatively, there are some cases where a severe swimmer's ear (or outer ear infection) can cause problems that spread to the middle ear, and completely block off the sound that is usually able to go through your ear canal. There are other, even more severe, infections that can sometimes be life threatening, and require aggressive intervention. These are often more common in those with diabetes or other reasons to have a decreased immune system. Obviously, there are many potential causes of your symptoms. Speaking with your doctor will be important to help you feel better and get the correct diagnosis. Please speak with your doctor.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.