Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I have a whole on the roof of my mouth and purple and red discoloration around it. What could it be?"

ZocdocAnswersI have a whole on the roof of my mouth and purple and red discoloration around it. What could it be?


I thought I had strepp or some sort of throat infection, but discovered a lump on the top of my mouth and that was what was causing my pain. Later that night I realized the lump had popped or drained and now I have a hole where the lump was along with red and purple discoloration around it, it looks like a huge bruised on the roof of my mouth. Is this something that will go away on its own or do I need to see a doctor?


Thanks for this question. It makes sense for you to see a doctor as it is difficult for me to understand exactly what you are describing. There are several conditions that can present with acute swelling and bruising similar to what you are describing. Most of these are treated by an ear nose and throat surgeon (AKA otolaryngology-head and neck surgeon). Necrotizing sialometaplasia can sometimes present in a fashion similar to what you describe, and it is usually a self limited condition. Also, some trauma and other infectious diseases can cause some of the same symptoms that you are describing, although there is a broad range of possible presentations for each. Unfortunately, there are many tumors that can also present in this way, some of which are malignant (ie, cancer), and you should therefore be examined by a doctor to make sure that you are ok. Things in your favor are the fact that it appears to have come on suddenly, which is perhaps slightly unusual for many tumors of the head and neck. Your ear nose and throat surgeon should be able to help you determine what the next best step should be, so please speak with your doctor.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.