Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"Could my result change after six months?"

ZocdocAnswersCould my result change after six months?


Hi there I am an 18 year old female. I dont smoke and very rarely drink alcohol. On july 4th 2013 I had unprotected sex at a party, the partner didnt climax inside of me, however we did have oral sex also. I had a blood test on september 30th 2013 and the result came back as negative. I have had no symptoms and i still seem to be worrying. I spoke to my doctor and they recommended i go back in january 2014 for a second test at 6 months. Im really anxious about it and scared my negative result will change


This sounds like a very upsetting and worrisome time for you. The first thing to know is that in any situation like this where you are concerned about your health and possible exposure to a sexually transmitted infection is that it is always important to contact your doctor. He or she can take care of any testing you might need; can help reassure you and answer questions you might have; and help discuss ways that you can protect your health in future. You don't actually say what specific blood test(s) you had done or what results you are worried about, and as you probably know, unprotected sexual contact can place you at risk for several infections that can be tested with a blood test, including HIV, Hepatitis B, and Hepatitis C. The risk of acquiring each of these infections is slightly different and can depend upon many factors including viral load in an infected partner and sexual practices. If your initial blood tests for any of these viruses was negative two months after the exposure, then it is likely that test result was a true negative (ie you will not be positive now). However, your doctor is correct that to be sure a confirmation test several months later is recommended. Your results could change, and this is information you would need to know. Please speak with your doctor.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.