ZocdocAnswersDoes leg length discrepancy stunt growth?

Question

Does leg length discrepancy stunt growth?

Hello, I am 18 years old and 5'2. My dad is almost 5'11 and my mom is 5'5-5'6. I do have LLD and i was wondering if that can stunt my growth. Im way shorter than everyone in my family. My whole family is 5'5 or taller. Is there anyway that i will have some type of growth spurt? Or is the LLD causing this?

Answer

If you are concerned about your growth or leg discrepancy, I recommend that you see a doctor for formal evaluation. Generally, most people have some degree of lower leg length discrepancy, on the order of millimeters. This generally has no effect on growth or development. Abnormal leg length discrepancy can have multiple causes, most commonly associated with injury of the growth plate in pre-pubescent or pubertal stages of development prior to the end of vertical growth. However, congenital disorders may also lead to limb deformities. Most lower leg discrepancies are not noticeable in everyday living. Larger discrepancies may lead to abnormal distributions of weight, which can lead to joint stress and muscle strains. This typically presents as a sore knee or hip, or recurrent muscle soreness with activity. However, discrepancy does not result in decreased overall growth. Symptomatic leg discrepancy should be formally evaluated and treated if necessary. Treatment often involves the use of lifts on the shorter leg, often placed in the heel of a shoe or with a special made shoe that has a heightened sole. There can be many other causes for short statures, including congenital and endocrine disorders, which can be formally evaluated by your doctor.