My shoulder is aching and swelling and hurts bad when i move it. What can I do?

fell on to my shoulder from my bike
I am sorry to hear about your shoulder pain. It sounds as if your symptoms are quite severe and are significantly affecting your quality of life. In order to determine the cause of your pain and swelling, you will need to undergo a thorough physical exam, and you may require x-rays or an MRI to further evaluate your shoulder. Therefore, I recommend you schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. After this evaluation, the surgeon can make recommendations regarding the cause of your symptoms as well as treatment options. The shoulder is a complex joint, and many different components can become injured during a trauma such as the one you suffered. It will be important to rule out a fracture of your arm or shoulder as well as dislocation of the shoulder. These may require prolonged immobilization with a sling or surgery. You may have damaged the acromioclavicular joint, which connected the collarbone to the shoulder, or the collarbone itself. You may have suffered damage to the rotator cuff, which is a series of four muscles that help control the shoulder. Additionally, you may have injured the labrum, or cartilage that lines the shoulder joint. It will not be possible to determine the specific cause without an in-person evaluation, and I recommend you schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon.

Other Orthopedic Surgeons