Can I use my current birth control as emergency contraception?

I'm on jolessa birth control and was prescribed cephalexin for an infection about two weeks ago. I just finished the cephalexin. My doctor told me to use a back up form of birth control untill my cycle ends... But that won't be for another month, so I had sex three times using the pull out method... I figured if be fine, but now I'm worrying. I've read that jolessa can be used as emergency contreception, if I take eight pills within 72 hours. Is this true? If it is, can I continue taking my pills as usual after?
Please speak with your doctor about this question. There are some effects that can be achieved by using hormonal contraception in certain ways, but these effects are not fail proof, and may not be safe for all people. Additionally, your doctor will have information about you and your health history that can weigh in on this decision and what the best thing for you to do may be. Antibiotics are commonly cited as one reason for failure of hormonal contraception because of the way that it effects the binding of the hormones to the different molecules that are found in your blood. The pull out method, as a backup form of contraception, is notoriously ineffective, and should not be used as the only method of protection. There are many other methods available that can be used, and one of the safest (at least at protecting against unwanted sexually transmitted infections, or STIs) is the barrier method. The most common of these is the condom, which can be readily obtained and easily used. Your doctor will have more information about how to best prevent pregnancy in your current situation, so please speak with your doctor about this question, and use protection in the interim.

Nearby OB-GYNs