Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Do I have an infection of some sort?"

ZocdocAnswersDo I have an infection of some sort?


I recently got my vertical hood piercing done about 3 months ago, it has healed but I have a localized piercing pimple that comes and goes. The piercing shop told me it is due to me riding my bike everyday - irritating it. About a month and a half ago I noticed this fishy smell around my clitoris, just my clitoral hood and i guess the sides. But my discharge doesn't smell whatsoever. I thought it could have been BV, but I'm not sure. I do clean myself and my vagina regularly using dove un-scented sensitive skin soap. I can't smell it with my clothes off or even on my underwear, only if I were to touch that area, you'd be able to smell it on your hands. I'm not sure what the problem is, and I really need answers. I haven't been able to get to the doctors to see what the problem may be, so I thought I could get possible answers from here.


Thanks for your question. It sounds as if you have considered some of the possible answers already. In general, the fishy smell can be associated with some of the bacteria that cause or are involved in bacterial vaginosis, or BV for short. That being said, it is not always that the smell is indicative of an active infection, or it could also be that there are different bacterial, viruses, or fungi that are related to your symptoms. Your doctor will be able to help with this problem, although this will mean making the time to discuss the symptoms with your doctor. It may be possible to relate some of this over the phone, especially if you have been keeping up on your routine physical examinations with your doctor. As your symptoms seem to be quite likely related to some bacteria or change in the flora of your genitalia, and the smell appears to be new since your piercing, it could be related to the piercing itself. The irritation might not be at fault, but the difficulty in cleaning this body part now that there is a new piercing and foreign body can be more difficult. Again, please speak with your doctor.

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.