Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"My mother has a hypothyroid, can it be cured?"

ZocdocAnswersMy mother has a hypothyroid, can it be cured?


My mother has a hypothyroid after she gave birth to my younger sister. Now, her thyroid is swelling and sometimes my mom has difficulties in breathing and eating. What is the cause of this? Can it be cured? Is there any homemade remedies or therapy? And some people said that i might inherited the hypothyroid also. Is it true? I need more information about hypothyroid.. thank you for the answer.


Hypothyroidism is one of the most common endocrine conditions and I recommend you schedule an appointment with your primary care doctor. While there are many causes, the most common cause and women is an autoimmune condition where the immune system attacks the thyroid gland and causes it to no longer function properly. We diagnosed hypothyroidism by testing people for the hormone TSH. TSH increases when thyroid hormone his low and decreases when thyroid hormone is high. There are very few causes of hypothyroidism that can be cured out right. The only one that I can think of offhand is hypothyroidism due to iodine deficiency which can be cured with iodine supplements. This is very rare in the United States as we have iodine supplementation and are salts. The way we treat the vast majority of hypothyroidism is by replacing the thyroid hormone with its synthetic version we call levothyroxin. Levothyroxine is the exact same molecule that the thyroid gland produces. We give the levothyroxin at doses that we think will help and measure the TSH levels to make sure we prescribe the right dose. There are no homemade remedies or therapies that any doctor would recommend for hypothyroidism. Certain types of hypothyroidism may be more common in kids who have parents with them, but it is not inherited every time. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician if you wish your thyroid function to be tested. This is a very routine thing for all primary care physicians to do.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.