ZocdocAnswersI had fissure in ano surgery 3 months back but it is still bleeding. Is there something wrong?

Question

I had fissure in ano surgery 3 months back but it is still bleeding. Is there something wrong?

i had fissure in ano surgery 3months back but still iam getting blood when ever iam passing stool could you let me know the reason for this, my surgeon has examined recently and said my Sphincter and rectum are in good condition but still iam leaving 3 drops of blood when ever iam passing little hard stool

Answer

Blood in the stool is a common complaint. It can have a wide range of causes, some of which are mild and some of which are serious. You need to see a physician about this problem, and when you do, you can ask him or her about the following possibilities. Given that you have had a fissure in ano surgery, it is possible that your issues are related to a recurrent fissure or slow healing at your surgical site. Three months out from surgery, most wounds would have healed, but poor wound healing should be evaluated. A recurrent fissure would likely be associated with some feeling of tightness and pain at the sphincter. It sounds like you are having your sphincter and rectum checked by a surgeon, which is the right thing to do. The most common cause of blood in the stool is internal hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids are swollen veins in the rectum and the swelling thins out the vein wall, making it susceptible to irritation as stool passes by. A few spots of blood on the toilet paper after a stool is often due to hemorrhoids. External hemorrhoids are often painful and visible around the anus, but internal hemorrhoids are often painless and are located entirely within the rectum. Bleeding from internal hemorrhoids can range from mild, as you describe, or severe. You should ask your doctor about about whether you may have hemorrhoids. Rectal bleeding can also be a sign of a more serious illness, such as a colorectal cancer. If you have maroon or black/tarry stools, this may be a sign that blood is mixed with your stool and you are bleeding more than you notice. Colonoscopy screens for colon cancer by looking for cancerous masses or pre-cancerous polyps. You should discuss with your doctor if you need to be evaluated or screened for colorectal cancer. It is not possible to diagnose the cause of your bleeding without your seeing a doctor. Given the duration and potential seriousness of this problem, you should promptly schedule an appointment with your surgeon to determine if any diagnostic tests or procedures are needed.