ZocdocAnswersWhy do I often get dizzy?

Question

Why do I often get dizzy?

I tend to get dizzy very often when I'm sitting, when I look down and look up

Answer

Thanks for your question. There are a few common reasons for a person to get dizzy. First, it is important to determine if there is something wrong with your overall health that needs to be addressed, such as a heart condition, some problem with your blood pressure, or some nutritional deficiency. Any of these can be treated with the help of your doctor. The way that you describe your question makes me wonder if there may be a component of your problem that is being caused by your inner ear as well. The inner ear is part of the way that your body can tell where it is in space. The vestibular system, as it is known, is comprised of three tunnels in each ear that have small crystals and hairs inside of each one. As you accelerate or as gravity makes these crystals move inside the fluid and affect the hairs in the canals (or labyrinth), your brain senses the motion. If the crystals happen to be dislodged or move from one canal to the next, a person can feel that they are moving more or different than they really are. Please speak with your doctor to determine your diagnosis and treatment.