ZocdocAnswersMy husband had a nocturnal syncope, is there something wrong with him?

Question

My husband had a nocturnal syncope, is there something wrong with him?

My 29 y/o husband woke up(felt hot) at 2:30 am. In route to the bathroom, he felt severe nausea. He was in the BR immediately over the toilet. He called me in there saying he was going to throw up. After not vomiting for a min he said he felt need to defacate, stood up, took off his pants. Next thing I know he was non responsive. Lowered him to the ground. He was out for 45 sec or so. He was making a few odd sucking in movements with abdomen. I called 911. He was a/o right when he came to. Stood up right away. No confusion but he didn't remember passing out. didn't feel faint before it happened.They came and checked him out. BP was 115/70s laying down and sitting up. His blood sugar was 126. Pulse was in the 50s, which is pretty normal for him. He is in good shape. He felt fine the rest of the night,besides a little weak. He has been 100% 3 days since it happened. vasovagal syncope? He has passed out from dental work, finger pricks, & stomach flu.

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your husband's symptoms, and I can certainly understand why they are concerning. It is impossible to provide an accurate diagnosis without performing a thorough medical history and physical exam as well as reviewing his EKG. I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with a primary care doctor to discuss his case. Syncope is defined as a loss of consciousness and postural tone that spontaneously resolved. There are many potential causes. One, which you mentioned, is vasovagal syncope. In these situation, the vagal nervous system receives a trigger, such as with vomiting or defecation. In response, the vagal nervous system can trigger the heart to slow down rapidly. In some cases, this causes the blood pressure to drop low enough that the individual loses consciousness. Syncope can also occur when someone is slightly dehydrated and they stand quickly. Due to the effects of gravity, blood is not able to return to the heart from the lower extremities rapidly enough to keep oxygen moving to the brain, and the body's response is to pass out. In some cases, dangerous arrhythmias can cause an individual to lose consciousness. I encourage you to raise all these possibilities with a primary care doctor, who can help determine if any additional testing is necessary.