ZocdocAnswersWhat is this bump in my eye socket??

Question

What is this bump in my eye socket??

I've had a painless hard small bump in my right eye socket ( on the bone near my nose) for as long as i can remember. I'm very concerned about it.

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you have a bump in your right eye socket that is bothering you (and has been for some time), and that you are worried about what it might be. Without being able to ask you more questions (i.e. take a thorough history) and examine you, it will be hard to tell you exactly what is going on. Nonetheless, I can give you some general information and point you in the right direction for who may be able to help you figure it out. The eye socket is a complex structure, being made up of seven different bones. Medially (towards the nose), the bone has a scooped out area (like a small valley) that is a recess for the start of the nasolacrimal duct (called the nasolacrimal fossae). This has an anterior and posterior ridge and it is possible that you have a pronounced anterior ridge of the lacrimal fossae that you are feeling (again this is speculation without being able to examine you). There are sinus conditions, and overgrowths of bone (called osteomas) that can cause bumps as well, which is why I am going to recommend that you make an appointment with an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) physician to get evaluated. They should be able to tell you if what you are feeling is a normal variant, or if it is something that should be worked up more.