Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Is my knee badly injured?"

ZocdocAnswersIs my knee badly injured?


On homecoming day which was two Friday's ago, I was hanging out with my friends and we started playing with a volleyball. It started rolling on the ground so I went to pick it up. My leg like jolted or something and I felt pain and fell to the floor. My friend dragged me over to where all my friends where and I tried to stand but needed some help from my friends. It hurt a lot to walk on it, but I still did. I didn't go see the school trainer till the end of the day which was about 3 hours. My leg knee still hurt. The trainer said that my knee cap went out of place and went back in and it could have rubbed against something. He told me to ice it and rest it for the weekend. So I did. But come now it's been 2 1/2 weeks and it still hurts to walk on it (more at times) I am worried about it. My mom is going to take me to the doctor soon to get it checked. She had talked to them and they said that they would do and X-ray first thing. Do you know if it could be badly injured?


Thank you for this interesting question, and it sounds like your symptoms are having a significant impact on your life. In order to provide an accurate diagnosis and treatment options, I would need to review your entire medical history and also perform a thorough physical exam. In addition, you may need other testing such as an x-ray, as you mentioned, or an MRI. Only after collecting this information will I be able to offer a diagnosis. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. As your trainer mentioned, you may have suffered a patellar dislocation, although this typically does not lead to longterm pain. You may have injured one of the bursa in your knee. These are fluid filled sacs that provide cushioning, and they can become inflamed, leading to ongoing pain. You have have suffered a small fracture to one of the bones in the joint. Additionally, you may have injured one of the ligaments in the knee, such as the ACl, MCL, or PCL. Finally, you may have injured the meniscus, which is a disc of cartilage that provides cushioning. Again, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon to discuss these possibilities.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.